On 21th of April 2017 annex VIII (Part SPO) of commission regulation (EU) No 965/2012 enters into force. According to this regulation all specialised aviation operators must have an EASA Part SPO manual and must make a declaration to their Competent Authority that the operator is in compliance with regulation (EU) 965/2012 which enables the competent authority to fulfil its oversight responsibilities.
The Part SPO Operations Manual must comply with the requirements of commission regulation (EU) No 965/2012 and shall be compiled in accordance with ORO.MLR.100. The manual shall include among others a management system in accordance with ORO.GEN.200 and task-specific standard operating procedures for specialised operations based on a risk assessment in accordance with SPO.OP.230. This might be a difficult task, especially for small operators!
An SPO operating manual according to ORO.MLR.100 consists of:
- Part A - General/Basic, comprising all on-type-related operational policies, instructions and procedures
- Part B - Aircraft Operating Matters
- Part C - Specific instructions related to the specialised tasks and operating areas
- Part D - Training Manual comprising all training instructions for personnel required for a safe operation
That's it? No! It is not just about the SPO declaration and the manuals needed! Regardless of whether it is an AOC holder or just a commercial SPO operator, there is a need to get two approvals from the competent authority prior to the start of operation:
- All commercial operator need to have an approved MEL (minimum equipment list) acc. ORO.MLR.105 of regulation (EU) 965/2012.
- All commercial operator need to have an approved "Aircraft Technical Log System" acc. M.A.306 of regulation (EU) 1321/2014.
Writing SPO manuals takes time and requires an excellent understanding of the regulations set forth in Annex III and VIII of the Commission Regulation (EU) 965/2012 (Air Operations) and the requirements of Commission Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 (Continuing Airworthiness).
We have successfully written Part SPO manuals for our own company, as well for parachute operators, survey operators and aerial photography operators. So we would be delighted to provide you with templates for your manuals or even to produce your own set of manuals. And we like to support you with our comprehensive knowledge and competent advice on your way to become a commercial operator for specialised flight operations.
Feel free and get in touch with us!
Your contact: Achmed Sharma
IAS Itzehoer Airservice GmbH
Tel: +49 (0) 4826 - 37633-61